How to build an art collection you love
Art is a reflection of you. The pieces you hang on your walls tell your story and reflect your personal style. When you think about how to build an art collection, it is important to buy art you are drawn to, art you love, art that speaks to you. Push your own boundaries and step outside of your comfort zone from time to time: allow yourself to experience art you may have otherwise passed by. Work with a gallery you know and trust. Buy the best pieces your budget will allow. If you need to build slowly, do so. Follow these simple guidelines and the end result is a collection to be proud of, one that you will love, one that can move and grow with you in whatever home you are in.
6 Tips to build on:
1. Love it: Buy what you love, not just what “matches the room.” Art evokes emotion, embrace it as you build your art collection.
2. Optimal Acquisition: Buy the best piece or pieces your budget will allow.
3. Push your Boundaries: If you tend to like a particular style or genre, perhaps you find that you already have those pieces in your collection, explore! Open your mind to something new.
4. Mix it Up: Don’t be afraid to mix it up. Your collection can be diverse: comprised of pieces of varying styles and genres.
5. Trust: Work with a gallery you know and trust. The gallery should have the experience to guide you through the process of acquiring art. You will also benefit from their long standing relationships with the artists they represent.
6. An Experience to Enjoy: Buying art is an experience to revel in. Venture into this process of experiencing, selecting and ultimately buying with enthusiasm. Allow yourself to journey into a different world – even if just for a bit.